Thursday, December 21, 2006

Indian in the Loop, for a Couple More Days

Indian Express: (Loop) Chicago
122 N. Wells Street
(312) 251-1770

Indian Express, Chick Peas, Veggies, Rice and Chowpatti_2.jpg

Indian Express_2.jpg

Hipsters, Loop business people and Indians gather at Indian Express for lunch. I asked my South Indian colleague who came with me, how authentic is it? A little bit, you get a taste, he told me. He rolled in there and tried to order speaking in Hindi, but the server behind the counter spoke Arabic; so my friend ordered in Arabic (they both spoke English, too). For less than $8, I ate a plate full of yellow rice, chana masala and curried vegetables with a chapati to scoop it up with and a drink to wash it down. It's quick oily food you line up to get, slightly over cooked but very savory and filling, and a great change from everything else in the Loop. It's too bad the owners are said to be changing the name, and the menu, to Mashawy Healthy Mediterranean Food in a few days. The loss is sad, because Mediterranean counters already serve the Loop falafel, hummus, baba ganoush and other favorites like grape leaves and lentil soup; but apparently the Loop crowd didn't make Indian work here. I imagine the hot Bollywood music videos will stop, too.

Indian Express.jpg

Indian Express, Chick Peas, Veggies, Rice and Chowpatti.jpg

photos: Chris B.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rosie said...

Mashawy Healthy Mediterranean Food?? I think the most unfortunate part of this restaurant change will be the name.

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home